Gary,

On 5/7/06 Gary F. wrote:
... Personally i find it almost impossible to apply these "-tel-" concepts
(such as entelechy and final cause) to a linear process. ...

Is entelechy the same as final cause to Aristotle or are they just related concepts?

I believe your point about "-tel-" concepts and non-linearity agrees with Robert Rosen's treatment of final cause and complexity.

I've just downloaded some material from Professor Ehresmann's site on Memory Evolutive Systems -- thanks for that reference. I'm curious what anyone has to say about her model of living systems in contrast with that of Rosen, if that's an appropriate topic for this list.

Thanks (to whole list) for the enlightening discussions,

Janet Singer