Gary, thanks for this quote, which i'm pretty sure i haven't seen
before -- i wouldn't have thought Peirce would talk about a
"Buddhisto-christian religion"!

> CP 1.673. . .. the supreme commandment of the Buddhisto-christian
> religion is, to generalize, to complete the whole system even until
> continuity results and the distinct individuals weld together. Thus it
> is, that while reasoning and the science of reasoning strenuously
> proclaim the subordination of reasoning to sentiment, the very supreme
> commandment of sentiment is that man should generalize, or what the
> logic of relatives shows to be the same thing, should become welded
> into the universal continuum, which is what true reasoning consists
> in. But this does not reinstate reasoning, for this generalization
> should come about, not merely in man's cognitions, which are but the
> superficial film of his being, but objectively in the deepest
> emotional springs of his life. In fulfilling this command, man
> prepares himself for transmutation into a new form of life, the joyful
> Nirvana in which the discontinuities of his will shall have all but
> disappeared.

It does accord pretty closely with what i was thinking; and so does
everything in your later post (below), including the other Peirce
passages you found: