Hi all

My users have a local mail address user@internal.local with different
aliases (virtual_mailbox_maps, virtual_alias_maps). Receiving and
sending mails through different relay hosts (am using
sender_dependent_relayhost_maps) works without issues. As MDA I use
dovecot with lmtp transport.

Recently I stumbled across an issue with dovecot's sieve vacation plugin:

A user with the alias a...@external.com (and the internal mail address
a@internal.local) receives an email and the sieve vacation plugin is
supposed to reply with an out of office message. RFC 5230 suggests that
ooo replies are sent with an empty SMTP MAIL FROM address.

Sieve vacation creates an ooo reply with an empty MAIL FROM which then
postfix tries to deliver directly to the receiving MX - which in my case
ignores my relay hosts and therefore fails.

I can make sieve vacation use a MAIL FROM address which then violates
RFC 5230 - but this works only for users without virtual aliases (they
need their @external.com be their mailbox address and not the
@internal.local one - otherwise the reply is sent by user@internal.local
which also doesn't work).

I can't get sieve vacation work and was looking for postfix to somehow
use header_checks and FILTER to choose a relay host for ooo replies but
couldn't figure it out yet - any help would be highly appreciated.

- every ooo reply goes only to one external recipient, not several ones

- ooo replies have an additional header I can check for
("Auto-Submitted: auto-replied (vacation)")

- the MAIL FROM is empty

- the user sending the ooo is authenticated

- the user configures their from address for the ooo reply (which should
be one of their aliases if they don't do any mistakes)

Is there a way to choose a relay host in cases it is an ooo reply (like
with an empty MAIL FROM and the specific ooo header set) based on the
from address but to respect sender_dependent_relayhost_maps in all other
cases?

Is there a way in that case to verify the from address the user
configured is a valid alias for that particular user and only relay the
ooo in that case?

--
Cheers
spi