On Sun, Jun 11, 2023 at 11:28:46AM +0200, spi via Postfix-users wrote:
My users have a local mail address user@internal.local with different
aliases (virtual_mailbox_maps, virtual_alias_maps). Receiving and
sending mails through different relay hosts (am using
sender_dependent_relayhost_maps) works without issues. As MDA I use
dovecot with lmtp transport.
To what end do various users need separate outbound relay hosts?
For some of the aliases I am not the authoritive mail server.
Sieve vacation creates an ooo reply with an empty MAIL FROM which then
postfix tries to deliver directly to the receiving MX - which in my case
ignores my relay hosts and therefore fails.
Why does this fail?  What's wrong with delivering the notifications via
the default relay or direct to the remote domain's MX?
For some of the aliases I am not the authoritive mail server.
Perhaps instead of trying to direct null sender messages via per-user
relays, some simplification of your design might avoid the problem
entirely?

It's not that simple to change the design but it kept me thinking. What
I did is to configure the relay for the most used aliases as "relayhost"
rather then in "sender_dependent_relayhost_maps". Now most users can
send vacation replies from the most common alliases domains.

Thx so far!

Sebastian

--
Cheers