On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 8:09 AM, Jonathan Vanasco <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I've just been running nginx -> paster for personal projects &
> internal dev.  We're looking to launch a 100k requests/day min project
> here, and I've got a client who I've sold onto Pylons and is looking
> at building their entire web-service startup on it.  Apache is pretty
> much out-of-the-question... they'll need too many servers to handle
> it's memory hogging and speed limitations

One thing to keep in mind is that new sites often have unrealistic
assumptions about their growth and the hardware required for it.  A
video site has special requirements due to the huge files it handles,
but for ordinary sites with text and JPGs and documents up to 15 MB
each, 100,000 requests/day is not that many.  That's 4166/hour or
70/minute.  Any non-anemic server can do that in its sleep.  Our
server has two sites each doing more than that several times a day,
plus three smaller sites.

Granted, the server is ridiculously overpowered: 2 CPU, 2 GB RAM, 300
GB HD, Ubuntu 7.10.  But one site inefficiently duplicates a 120 MB
object database per process (and runs 3 processes minimum, so that's
240 MB overhead), so that's where some of the memory is going.  The
server load right now is 0.11; free memory is 18 MB (+269 MB in
discardable buffers and 1.2 GB "cached").  That's with Apache -> scgi
-> Quixote for the largest site and Apache -> mod_proxy ->
PasteHTTPServer -> Pylons  for some of the others.  I'm migrating all
the sites to Pylons one by one.

We use PHP only for PHPMyAdmin, for which I've been unable to find an
adequate alternative.  We use it only so our non-technical appadmins
can make occasional changes and reports.

--
Mike Orr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>