On May 20, 4:33 pm, "Mike Orr" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> each, 100,000 requests/day is not that many.  That's 4166/hour or
> 70/minute.  Any non-anemic server can do that in its sleep.  Our
> server has two sites each doing more than that several times a day,
> plus three smaller sites.

when you take in peak times though, its really 200/minute during some
hours and 10-30/min on others.  (at least for US only targeteed sites)

most sites do have unrealistic expectations -- but this one is tied to
an online and offline marketing campaign.  so i'm trying to be
prepared.

> We use PHP only for PHPMyAdmin, for which I've been unable to find an
> adequate alternative.  We use it only so our non-technical appadmins
> can make occasional changes and reports.

there's nothing wrong about having php running.  i still use php for
random stuff too.

the only issue can be how you're running it. if its mod_php, you'll be
much better off dropping to the php as (f)cgi option, or running
things through nginx.  i only need to budget < 90mb if i run it on
nginx -> 4 fcgi processes + 64mb accelerator cache. the only
performance issue i ever encountered with php has been it bloating/
slowing apache.  i only ran it as a FCGI a few times for tests though;
it was easier to install/maintain on nginx and had a faster bench --
wasn't worth tweaking anymore.