On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 7:31 AM, Jonathan Vanasco <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On May 21, 4:09 am, "Mike Orr" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 11:54 PM, Jonathan Vanasco
>> Well, for a Pylons site with Postgres that wants to be scalable up
>> front, a three-server setup makes sense.  One for the Pylons app, one
>> for the static content, and one for the database.
>
> I'd disagree.  You generally shouldn't need to do a dedicated box for
> static content - just use a lightweight static server like nginx or
> lighttpd.

He did say scalable and video, which I took to mean ultra-heavy use of
very large files, and overkill didn't matter. The disk space alone is
one reason why static content might want to be on a separate box, so
it can be plugged into a large disk array or replicated easier, etc.

>> A second database server is usually the hardest part; you'd need a
>> database engine that propagates changes from any server to all the
>> others
> I always spec apps to be replication-ready: separate handles for read
> & write, and maintaining strict documentation and code reviews as to
> which handles are used where.  Usually a 'write' should only be used
> in account management situations.  I even go so far as to make sure
> all logging functionality is on a different handle (sometimes even to
> a different DB).  Approaches like this at the start make clustering
> and replication simple.

By handle you mean a database connection?

So how do you handle writes?  You direct them all to one master server
and let it propagate the changes to the slaves? Have you found a good
replicable database among the free ones that work with SQLAlchemy?

> Most file-access isssues can be handled with an 'authticket' style
> approach across servers.  If you're dealing with a specific per-file
> per-access approach, then yeah - you're likely better to have your
> pylons appserver handle that ( though you might be able speed things
> up with some custom plugins or hooks in nginx/lighttpd)

What do you mean by authticket?

--
Mike Orr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>