Dave P a écrit:

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004, Arnould Nazarian wrote:

I discussed many years about this with Tony Tebby. And think I know his
answer: what money do you have to pay him for that job?

The same money that was used to write Linux! ;)

The first impulse was financed by Linus's parents, and the parents of many more students who, I believe, were quite frightened to see what their son's did during their nights (I know because I do not know what my 16 year old son does during nights on his PC, and I am nervous about that). Do you have equivalent funding?

The groundwork was all done by open source advocates, for free. Once it
was workable, businesses started using it, and funded further development.

IMO it only developped because there was no other response to M$ monopole. It was a chance. There are many other industries where a single technology dominates with no critics.

> I am sure a small, embedded OS could do very well in many markets
> where Linux isn't appropriate...

So am I. But there are already loads of them. Even if nearly all of them are based on the same original mistake. But nobody wants to understand. It is easier.

Arnould

              • ... David Isaacs
              • ... "Phoebus R. Dokos (Φοίβος Ρ. Ντόκος)"
              • ... "Phoebus R. Dokos (Φοίβος Ρ. Ντόκος)"
              • ... Malcolm Cadman
              • ... P Witte
              • ... Dave P
              • ... Tarquin Mills