In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, David Isaacs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes

It's just me being cheap <wry smile>; family budget being tight, etc.
I've got a copy of QPC1 which, as I understand it, only works under DOS?
I was going to try it out on an old laptop (486 33MHz) which, I believe,
it was developed for but..... my lovely 5 year old daughter broke the
ribbon cable connecting the screen to the system/keyboard...... hence a
DOS partition as, I don't think, QPC1 will work under XP (or anywhere
near it - probably DOS box configuration genius aside - too time
consuming)
When I get a round tuit I'll feedback how it works with 1GByte of DOS
RAM?!?

Yes, QPC1 does run on DOS. It will work fine with the 486 33MHz PC - I have one just like it. The reward is that is faster then the original QL, and you have access to a hard drive.

The author, Marcel, is on this list and can give you any advice required I am sure, just ask.

There are also some upgrades to QPC1 available on the web that make it behave with more colours, etc. I forget who wrote those ... ? And I haven't tried them myself.

When you get it installed on a PC in DOS with XP it should zoom along, relatively. However QPC2 is well worth investing in, as it works as a program in Windows, which means of course that you can use it alongside other software installed. It also has access to all your devices ... the PC hard drive is seen as 'DOS1_', and other hard drives as 'DOS2_', etc. Also Removable Media, CD-Rom's etc.

You can use it as a Window program in Windows, or let it take over the whole machine. A lot of different resolutions available, and new colour drivers.

Finally, no, I'm not familiar with the newer software - I left off with
Pointer Environment QPAC2, on 4meg SuperGoldCard with 2 31/2 inch floppy
disk drives and an amber monitor with an LC10 dot matrix. Got me through
my HND Computer Studies!

Not bad though ... the PE is required for the latest software.

Thanks again to the QUANTA community for getting me through those times.
My future intentions are a return to UNIX via Linux and running modern
QL software on it (or does the modern QL software no longer require
another Operating System to run an emulator - I guess I should read more
of the posts to this list and I'd know <grin>

SMSQ has taken over from QDOS for many users, so will need that too. For a modest cost you will be upgraded.

There are many readers on this list who also use UNIX / Linux, so you will not be alone ... :-)

Good luck with whatever you do, and welcome to the list again.