Dave P writes:

<>

> Just make it a standard that a toolkit looks for an existing instance
> of the keyword, and if it is in use, alter the keyword in a standardised
> way.
<>

Bit of a pain that if what all you wanted to do was to redefine a keyword -
a common occurance during toolkit development, for example.

The simple solution is to run SBasic code that requires its own toolkit(s)
in a separate instance of SBasic. When you are finished with it, kill the
job and the extensions go away.

Also, when you compile a program with the toolkit included with the program
code (now also possible with Turbo, I believe) this does not affect keywords
loaded into any instance of SBasic, including job #0.

For those rare instances not covered by either of the above, ie when you
want a keyword globally available that clashes with the name of another
global keyword, the simplest may be to patch a copy of the toolkit file.
You can call the offending keywords whatever you like as it will only affect
you.

The only problem I have with this issue is when I try to run an SBasic
program containing DEFined keywords that clash with my default set of
keywords. I then normally manually rename all instances of the keyword in
the source and save the patched file with a new name. This can be quite
fiddly and time consuming.

Per

  • ... Ian . Pine
  • ... Ian . Pine