I accompanied the quad for whom I worked for surgery on his syrinx at Craig Hospital near Denver about  10 years ago. Sadly he passed in 2020 unrelated to his surgery.

His  symptoms were increasing pain and excessively low blood pressure but everyone is different.
If at all possible I would go to Craig’s hospital  to be evaluated. You may have to be referred. I know that’s not an easy feat!

There is a free phone line where a SCI nurse at Craig hospital  can answer questions or find the answers on all things related to SCI. You might need to call more than once to get the answers.

If I recall correctly the surgeon said there was a high rate of shunt failure for syrinx  and that shunt surgery was considered old school but my memory is a little foggy.
Don’t take my word 100% but check other resources. Maybe  there are better shunt surgery techniques now. This was 10 years ago.

The neurosurgeon was Dr Scott Falci and his incredible nurse was Charlotte. She is the one who could tell you more about shunts and syrinx surgery.
If you call have all your questions lined up. She is very busy and not easy to reach but is accessible or was back then.

His surgery was in 2 stages. Gosh I can’t believe I’m forgetting the details.i was only with him for the first simpler surgery and I think this first surgery was to decompress the syrinx and the second surgery was  to put a graft in place.

Craigs is a world class spinal cord and head injury hospital. There were folks there of meager means so maybe you don’t have to have great insurance which he fortunately did.

I do recall Charlotte saying that even with the best of surgical outcomes a syrinx can return in as little as 3 years. His pain was  less as a result of the surgery and maybe blood pressure only slightly better.  In the end I wondered if the results were  worth those 2 surgeries  but he did say it  definitely  was.

 try to get a good second opinion before ileostomy surgery.
best of wishes to you
Gail

Sent from my iPhone