I was the "author" of Appendix J for the JSC, so I will try to answer from that perspective.

At 11:32 AM 2/16/2010, Karen Coyle wrote:
I'm pondering the RDA relationships, as defined in Appendix J. I need
clarification ...

A relationship is between two "things". FRBR has lists of Work-Work
relationships, Expression-Work relationships, etc. Appendix J lists
relationships as either Work, Expression, Manifestation or Item
relationships. So...

1) are all relationships in Appendix J between equivalent entities?
e.g. are they all Work-Work, Expression-Expression?

At some point in the process of developing the list of relationship designations in Appendix J, I realized that it was NOT valid to assume that the relationships in question were between equivalent entities. The designations are very explicit about the nature of what might be called the "target" entity; even for the same relationships (e.g., "based on"), the designators are qualified to distinguish between a related work and a related expression. However, the nature of what might be called the "source" entity is NOT specified, so "based on (work)" could be a work-to-work relationship or an expression-to-work relationship. A "source" entity can be either a work, an expression, a manifestation, or an item.

2) If not, how can one tell what the two "things" are that are being related?

The "target" entity is explicitly identified in the relationship designation. For the "source" entity, you have to discover the nature of the source entity itself. In other words, the relationship designation itself does not fully identify the nature of the related entities; you have to look at the entire logical triple and determine the nature of the entities being related. (Note that you also have to do this in order to generate the correct reciprocal relationship.)

In a scenario 1 implementation, the nature of the "source" entity is implicit in the type of record used to record the relationship; if the "source" entity is described in a Work record, it is a work, etc. In a scenario 2 or scenario 3 implementation, it can be more difficult, particularly if the "source" entity is desccribed in a bibliographic record containing a composite description of a manifestation and the expression of the work embodied in the manifestation. Implicitly a relationship to a related work that is included in such a description could be inferred to be a related work relationship. This is one more reason (if more are needed) why RDA really needs a scenario 1 implementation.

3) I don't find some relationships that seem to be key:
  - Expression of
  - Manifestation of
  - Item of

The relationships between work, expression, manifestation and item for a given resource are defined as Primary Relationships and are dealt with in Chapter 17 of RDA. The relationships in question are treated in RDA as elements; relationship designations are not provided for elements; the element name itself designates the relationship.

This is one of the quirks of the way that RDA deals with relationships. The most general relationships -- the primary relationships; the general relationships between persons, families and corporate bodies (e.g., "creator"); and the general relationships between works, expressions, manifestations, and items (e.g., "related work") are treated as elements, while the more specific types of relationships are treated as relationship designations in Appendices I, J and K. We understand that this distinction is arbitrary and that any application of RDA will need to find a way to deal with this in a consistent manner.

  - Translation of (Expression as translation of Work)

Translation of/Translated as is covered in Appendix J under J.3.2.

Note, however, that Work is an abstract entity that has no linguistic content and therefore no language; the translation relationship is always between two expressions, e.g., an English translation of the original German expression of the work Goethe's Faust. Our current practice obscures this fact by using the same access point to name both the work and its expression in its original language; technically, we should (and hopefully will) distinguish between Goethe. Faust (the work) and Goethe. Faust. German (the original expression).

        John Attig
        ALA Rep to the JSC
        Penn State University
        jx...@psu.edu