Several decades ago, as a teenager, I had a little life-lesson that I
think is relevant to the discussion, if not of Appendix J, then at least
to the relationships among derivative works.

One Friday, the movie Anna and the King of Siam (1946, Irene Dunn and
Rex Harrison) was shown on television.  We had the source book at home,
so I read it over the weekend, and became annoyed at the distortions in
the film.  The following Sunday, The King and I was shown on the same
network (I knew and loved the music).  I suppose I shouldn't have been
surprised, but I was almost horrified, and angered, at the extent to
which the musical took the movie, and only the movie, and distorted it
further.  I have the feeling nobody involved with the musical ever
looked at the original book.  I could never again see the play with the
same eyes.

The moral of this story, I guess, is that two works may be separated by
multiple layers of derivativeness.

Misha Schutt
Catalog Librarian
Burbank (Calif.) Public Library