Schutt, Misha wrote:

The moral of this story, I guess, is that two works may be separated by
multiple layers of derivativeness.

True. Traditionally, we didn't give much attention to the closeness
or the nature of a relationship between works. If at all, one added
a uniform title and a little, rather informal note and that was it -
let the user figure out the usefulness of that.
RDA, however, asks for a more detailed inspection because it is a
cornerstone of the FRBR model that related works, expressions and
manifestations be made transparent and meaningfully presented in a
catalog to assist the users in their arduous tasks of finding and
selecting the right thing. And this will mean a bit more work,
sometimes bordering on literary criticism, delving much deeper into
the content than cataloging rules used to require.

B.Eversberg