Bernhard Eversberg wrote:
<snip>
Schutt, Misha wrote:

> The moral of this story, I guess, is that two works may be separated by
> multiple layers of derivativeness.

True. Traditionally, we didn't give much attention to the closeness
or the nature of a relationship between works. If at all, one added
a uniform title and a little, rather informal note and that was it -
let the user figure out the usefulness of that.
RDA, however, asks for a more detailed inspection because it is a
cornerstone of the FRBR model that related works, expressions and
manifestations be made transparent and meaningfully presented in a
catalog to assist the users in their arduous tasks of finding and
selecting the right thing. And this will mean a bit more work,
sometimes bordering on literary criticism, delving much deeper into
the content than cataloging rules used to require.
</snip>

This is correct, but the amount of additional work remains to be seen, along
with questions of maintaining consistency. I suspect training people to reach
these levels will be exceptionally difficult based on my own experience of many
of the catalog records produced today, where I have seen very little
consistency in the use of 6xx$v (which can become very confusing) and with
subject analysis in general. If this is the case now, how can we attempt to
teach catalogers to achieve a decent level of consistent analysis in, e.g.
isAdaptationOf or isTransformationOf or isImitationOf? This will be genuinely
new and is probably more confusing than the $v. I am sure that the FRBR
relationships are not exhaustive, and there will be campaigns for additional
relationships such as isIllogicalConclusionOf or isBadJokeOf or isPlagiarismOf!
:-)

Again, I think it all comes down to what users need (i.e. the user tasks) and
being realistic in what we can achieve. The library community must  decide the
best ways to allot their resources, and while explicating such relationships
may be a nice thing to do and marginally useful for some of our patrons, is it
what people want and is it the best use of our resources? (Obviously, I don't
think so) Do people just want more reliable access to materials that have been
selected by some disinterested experts? Certainly when someone is looking at
one resource or metadata for that resource, they need to be aware of other
resources in various other ways. But there are many ways to do this task using
more informal (i.e. traditional) methods. We should also not forget the Web2.0
possibilities, which may go a long way toward linking records and resources.

James Weinheimer  j.weinhei...@aur.edu
Director of Library and Information Services
The American University of Rome
via Pietro Roselli, 4
00153 Rome, Italy
voice- 011 39 06 58330919 ext. 258