I agree with Karen Coyle's argument, and I share the concern about FRBR
concepts pushing catalogers away from the bibliographic detective work that
they should be concentrating on, and into something else that they have neither
the time nor, frankly, the training and inclination to do.

I raised this question at a FRBR pre-conference last summer in Chicago:  Do we
really expect catalogers to spend their time establishing "works"?  Or is the
question of "workhood" -- if indeed it needs to be answered -- something that
is better left to literary and historical scholarship?

The answer I was given was, "Well that's what they've always been doing with
uniform titles."  But is it?  To my mind, a uniform title is basically an
instruction to collocate items under a fixed, but essentially arbitrary label.
It recognizes the fact that, in certain circumstances the user is aided  by
cataloger-intervention, but makes no real claim that the uniform title alone
represents "a distinct intellectual or artistic creation."  After all, most of
the rules for uniform title give the cataloger a fairly wide degree of latitude
in constructing that title, because it is recognized on some level that it is a
device, not an existential statement.

(As an aside, a gripe I have, not so much about FRBR, as the way it has been
"sold", as it were, to catalogers, is that the examples of "workhood" seem
always to be carefully chosen so that the nature and name of the work is
obvious or at least non-controversial.  I think we all can agree on the
"workhood" of Shakespeare's Hamlet... leaving out those few who are convinced
it was penned by Sir Francis Drake, or Queen Elizabeth!  But the vast majority
of materials that I work with are neither so well known nor well-represented by
multiple editions that the task of figuring out exactly what the "work" is and
should be called would I believe take considerable footwork and time.)

I like the idea of a "recordless view."  It pushes us toward looking at the
concept a little differently. "Work" is really just a deduced relationship
among various editions.  Like all relationships among entities, it should be
noted when it is deemed useful, and ignored when it isn't.  Instead of
establishing "works" as such we should just be recording statements like:
Agency X calls Editions A and B different versions of the same Work, W.

More food for thought,

Benjamin Abrahamse
Head, Serials Cataloging Section
Cataloging and Metadata Services