Mac said:

It seems to me "work" is being used in two ways here, the effort of
creating the aggregate, and the resulting aggregate.

The aggragating effort has no title, apart from "editor", "compiler",
etc. in the statement of responsibility. and as some would like, $e
relator terms.

But the aggregate created certainly does have a title, and all the
other attributes of a work, expression, manifestion, and item.
Yes. Looking at the example "Understanding FRBR" in the report (p. 13) again, I wonder if not even
the Working Group themselves gets a bit confused about this. As I've quoted already, they say: "The
aggregating work encompasses all of the intellectual effort required to identify the topics to be covered,
solicit the authors, edit the manuscripts, write the introduction, compile the index and other related
activities." And then they go on to say: "this aggregating work is significant and warrants
distinct bibliographic identification."

But what could such a bibliographic identification contain? The only information which could be
given is the fact that this thing was created by Arlene Taylor, and that an expression of it is
embodied in an aggregate manifestation together with expressions of the individual chapters. But
the bibliographic identification could not include the really important things like the title
"Understanding FRBR" or the subject "FRBR". For this, you need another entity
(the aggregate work), which is not shown in the diagram at all. It's really extremely odd.

When I started this discussion, I already had a strong feeling that the theory presented
in the final report was somehow weird. Looking back now, I find that I had only noticed
the tip of the iceberg of the "wrongness" then. Now after all the points we've
covered during the discussion, I really think the final report (in the main body of the
text) gets it utterly wrong and is, I'm afraid, rather pointless.

Heidrun

--
Prof. Heidrun Wiesenmueller M.A.