Thomas,

If I understand your reasoning correctly, your main concern is with the case of transcribing selected names from further down the list (which, as I've tried to explain, I would see as an exception and not as the rule). I see what you mean, although I still think that it wouldn't be much of a problem for our users as long as something like "[and 38 others]" makes it clear that the statement is not complete.

But you haven't mentioned the case from which the whole discussion originated: The question whether it should be allowed to transcribe e.g. "with contributions by A, B, C, D [and 16 others]" instead of "with contributions by A [and 19 others]", with A, B, C and D being the first names in the list. Do you see problems there as well?

I'd argue that the first version meets the principle of representation better than the second.

Heidrun