From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[RDA-L@listserv.lac-bac.gc.ca] on behalf of Heidrun Wiesenmüller
[wiesenmuel...@hdm-stuttgart.de]
Sent: Friday, February 08, 2013 12:18 PM
To: RDA-L@listserv.lac-bac.gc.ca
Subject: Re: [RDA-L] Statement of responsibility naming more than three persons
etc.

Thomas,

I think we're all agreed that transcribing all names in a statement of
responsibility is preferable to any kinds of shortening the statement.

I'm not so sure about your argument that the first name in such a list is of
special importance as a potential part of the access point of the work.
Although in RDA there can be more than three creators, my gut feeling is that
we won't see too many cases with more than, say, five creators. Such lists can
and should be completely transcribed. If you come upon a very long list of
names, I believe it will (at least in the area of textual works) typically be
for people who have written an essay or a chapter in a collection. The example
I cited, for example, was a festschrift. So the persons in these lists are not
creators of the work as a whole, but only creators of their own essay.
Consequently, the first one mentioned would not be part of the access point for
the work as a whole. This kind of list also tends to be arranged
alphabetically, so there is really no indication that the first-mentioned
person has contributed in a more important way than the others. It's just the
person whose name happens to come first in an alphabetical order.

Heidrun