Thomas,

I think we're all agreed that transcribing all names in a statement of responsibility is preferable to any kinds of shortening the statement.

I'm not so sure about your argument that the first name in such a list is of special importance as a potential part of the access point of the work. Although in RDA there can be more than three creators, my gut feeling is that we won't see too many cases with more than, say, five creators. Such lists can and should be completely transcribed. If you come upon a very long list of names, I believe it will (at least in the area of textual works) typically be for people who have written an essay or a chapter in a collection. The example I cited, for example, was a festschrift. So the persons in these lists are not creators of the work as a whole, but only creators of their own essay. Consequently, the first one mentioned would not be part of the access point for the work as a whole. This kind of list also tends to be arranged alphabetically, so there is really no indication that the first-mentioned person has contributed in a more important way than the others. It's just the person whose name happens to come first in an alphabetical order.

Heidrun

On 07.02.2013 21:35, Brenndorfer, Thomas wrote:

Including the sequence of the first few named and then truncating the statement with [and x others] seems like a reasonable and flexible option.

But I do view the use of [and x others] as itself violating the principle of representation, and perhaps that is why the LC-PCC PS has indicated that they will not generally use the optional omission.

The first named does have a connection with the name potentially used in the authorized access point for the work, so there is a stronger reason for the first named versus the second named. The access point for that first named is also a core element (essentially, this is how RDA restates the main entry rule—as in AACR2, one name is more important than others, and receives a spot in the 100 field).

As for the others that are named, I would be more comfortable transcribing the entire statement. In those exceptional cases with a huge number of names, it seems to me that potentially none of the names are that important (except the first named which might be used in the authorized access point), or that only select names would be useful for the users of the library, and so I would more comfortable putting those in a note, likely with some explanation as to why I pulled those specific names out of the statement of responsibility.

I don’t see much discernible value in setting an arbitrary cut-off—if given a choice between transcribing a full statement of responsibility and making authority records for the first four or five names I would likely choose transcribing the whole statement of responsibility as more useful, if only for keyword searching. There might even be some workflow logic to that in that authorized access points can be added later if needed and the statement of responsibility wouldn’t have to be adjusted with some other arbitrary cut-off.

Thomas Brenndorfer

Guelph Public Library

*From:*Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access [mailto:RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA] *On Behalf Of *Heidrun Wiesenmüller
*Sent:* February-07-13 3:11 PM
*To:* RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
*Subject:* Re: [RDA-L] Statement of responsibility naming more than three persons etc.

Thomas,

If I understand your reasoning correctly, your main concern is with the case of transcribing selected names from further down the list (which, as I've tried to explain, I would see as an exception and not as the rule). I see what you mean, although I still think that it wouldn't be much of a problem for our users as long as something like "[and 38 others]" makes it clear that the statement is not complete.

But you haven't mentioned the case from which the whole discussion originated: The question whether it should be allowed to transcribe e.g. "with contributions by A, B, C, D [and 16 others]" instead of "with contributions by A [and 19 others]", with A, B, C and D being the first names in the list. Do you see problems there as well?

I'd argue that the first version meets the principle of representation better than the second.

Heidrun