The authorized access point for the work is covered beginning in RDA 6.27, and
the construction of the authorized access point for the work for a
collaborative work (i.e., more than one creator) does indeed refer to the
"first named"-- the first name to appear in a statement of a responsibility.

An example of an authorized access point for a work is: Hemingway, Ernest,
1899–1961. Sun also rises

The first part of the authorized access point for the work is the equivalent to
what arises with the main entry rule in AACR2 (i.e. what goes into the 1XX
field but continued with a 240 or 245 title proper).

The relationship of one or more creators to a work is covered in RDA 19. In
MARC, multiple creators would be entered into 7XX fields, with one chosen for
the 1XX spot.

There are two distinct meanings of the data in the 1XX field.

100 is for the authorized access point of a person who has a relationship with
the work.

100 is for the first part of the authorized access point of the work. The form
"Hemingway, Ernest, 1899–1961. Sun also rises" refers to the entity Work not
Person.

Both situations can depend on the name that appears first in the statement of
responsbility

When RDA 18.3 mentions the following is a Core element: "Other person, family,
or corporate body associated with a work (if the access point representing that
person, family, or corporate body is used to construct the authorized access
point representing the work)", this means the core relationship of a one person
to the work is contingent on the decision that went into constructing the
authorized access point for a work.

And in turn, that decision can be contingent on the name listed first in the
statement of responsibility.

Here is an example in RDA that illustrates these contingencies (and also shows
the elimination of the rule of three) is:

Beyard, Michael D. Developing retail entertainment destinations

Resource described: Developing retail entertainment destinations / principal
authors, Michael D. Beyard, Raymond E. Braun, Herbert McLaughlin, Patrick L.
Phillips, Michael S. Rubin ; contributing authors, Andre Bald, Steven Fader,
Oliver Jerschow, Terry Lassar, David Mulvihill, David Takesuye

In RDA one would construct a relationship something like this:

Beyard, Michael D. <a creator of> Beyard, Michael D. Developing retail
entertainment destinations

But the Manifestation elements are separate from this:

Title proper: Developing retail entertainment destinations
Statement of responsibility relating to title proper [first statement is core
element]: principal authors, Michael D. Beyard, Raymond E. Braun, Herbert
McLaughlin, Patrick L. Phillips, Michael S. Rubin
Statement of responsibility relating to title proper: contributing authors,
Andre Bald, Steven Fader, Oliver Jerschow, Terry Lassar, David Mulvihill, David
Takesuye

What makes "Michael D. Beyard" a core relationship element is the connection
between that name (the "first named") and the authorized access point for the
work: "Beyard, Michael D. Developing retail entertainment destinations".

Beyond his role in the authorized access point for the work Michael D. Beyard
is no more important a creator then Raymond E. Braun, Herbert McLaughlin,
Patrick L. Phillips, or Michael S. Rubin. RDA 19 focuses only on the
relationships between all creators and the work, but when RDA specifies one
creator as a core element, the reference is back to RDA 6.27 when the
authorized access point for the work (in name-title form) is being constructed,
and the choice for that often falls back to the "first named" within the
statement of responsibility.

Encoded in MARC (core elements only):

100 $a Beyard, Michael D.
245 $a Developing retail entertainment destinations /
245 $c principal authors, Michael D. Beyard, Raymond E. Braun, Herbert
McLaughlin, Patrick L. Phillips, Michael S. Rubin

Thomas Brenndorfer
Guelph Public Library