>I think we're all agreed that transcribing all names in a statement of
>responsibility is preferable to any kinds of shortening the statement.

>I'm not so sure about your argument that the first name in such a list is of
>special importance as a potential part of the access point of the >work.

It was just a small point, but the reference was to one change in RDA from
AACR2, which is to always use the first named person as part of the authorized
access point for the work when there are two or more involved (and principle
responsibility cannot other be determined) (RDA 6.27.1.3; also RDA 19.2 where
the main or first Creator relationship to the work is a core element).

In AACR2, the work had a title main entry if there were more than three
creators named in the statement of responsibility. RDA doesn't have the Rule of
Three, and one effect is that the first named in a long statement of
responsibility will get greater attention than all the other names, and will
likely end up as part of the authorized access point for the work (i.e. the
name-title access point for the work).

Thomas Brenndorfer

Guelph Public Library