Rick asks an important question. We can step back from the constraints of the
current litigation and think about how this issue should be resolved on a clean
slate, (This analysis also requires ignoring the polarized and dysfunctional
governments that exist at the national level and in many states.) One basic
model for resolving this issue and some others involving the provision of
intangible and fungible goods, would suggest: 1. that government exempt
conscientious objectors from the operation of the statute; 2. that government
provide the insurance coverage to which they would otherwise be entitled to the
employees of exempt employers; 3. that if exempt employers save money as a
result of the exemption, they should contribute an equivalent amount to some
government identified public goods that are consistent with their faith --
thereby mitigating if not eliminating the cost to government of providing the
insurance coverage to the employees of exempt employers, and also mitigating if
not eliminating any incentive to assert a sham claim to an exemption just to
receive the secular benefits that result from the exemption.

Marty's argument that there really is no mandate essentially suggests that the
Affordable Care Act does this preemptively by giving all employers an
alternative to providing the insurance coverage that some oppose on religious
grounds. While Marty and Eugene very ably discuss whether the Affordable Care
Act really gives employers an adequate alternative to providing the insurance,
we should not lose sight of the foundation of their very thoughtful posts.  A
system that provides for alternative duties or obligations consistent with the
objector's faith by requiring appropriate alternative contributions that
indirectly offset the costs to government of making sure that the beneficiaries
of the statute do not lose out does not substantially burden religious persons
nor does it impose unreasonable costs on government or third parties.

Not all accommodation issues can be resolved under this approach. Perhaps most
cannot. But some can. If we are going to live together in a religiously
pluralistic society in which government tries to respect the autonomy and
dignity of all persons, isn't this kind of compromise the best approach to
solving a problem like this one.

Alan