I also used to think that RFRA calls for improper judicial lawmaking (though
not unconstitutional lawmaking).  But I then changed my views, for reasons I
described in more detail in my "Common-Law Model for Religious Exemptions"
piece, http://www.law.ucla.edu/volokh/relfree.pdf.

Here's the short version:  The problem with the Lochner line of cases isn't
that courts were lawmakers.  Most of American law -- tort law, contract law,
evidence law, criminal law, and more -- was initially made by courts.  (To be
sure, they were mostly state courts, but federal courts created the federal law
of evidence and civil procedure, developed federal admiralty law, developed and
still develop criminal law defenses, and so on.)  To this day, this judicial
lawmaking continues.  And sometimes Congress specifically authorizes courts to
continue engaging in such lawmaking, most prominently in the federal law of
evidentiary privileges, but also in fair use and some other areas.  The key
difference between this and Lochner is that courts are entitled to make the
law, including by developing exceptions from statutory duties (e.g., criminal
law defenses, testimonial privileges, and the like), but *with the possibility
of legislative override*.

RFRAs, federal and state, fit well within this mold.  They involve a
legislature's decision that, while the legislature is happy creating some
generally applicable obligations, they want to leave it to courts to develop
certain exceptions from those obligations -- much like courts developed other
legal rules in the past -- subject to later revision by the legislature.

And I don't see what's unconstitutional, or even bad institutional allocation
of power, about that.

Eugene

Marci Hamilton writes:

All of this matters, because it is my view that RFRA in these cases is as
unconstitutional as it was in Boerne.  The Court did not limit its reasoning to
state law and relied explicitly on separation of powers.  Politics, not the
Court, transformed Boerne into a decision only relevant to state law.    As I
have said before, and may have missed either Eugene's or Marty's responses over
the holiday, their debate is one the courts are ill-suited to decide.

If the Court takes this approach, the mandate cases will be an excellent
example of how RFRA turns courts into legislatures and makes them lawmakers (in
the tradition actually of the Lochner cases where strict scrutiny was employed
to permit the courts to second guess employment laws), without the competence
to do so.

The problem of course is that the DOJ has failed to attack RFRA's
constitutionality but that is, once again, politics, not constitutional
analysis.

Marci

Marci A. Hamilton
Verkuil Chair in Public Law
Benjamin N. Cardozo Law School
Yeshiva University
@Marci_Hamilton

On Dec 18, 2013, at 4:54 PM, Michael Worley