The holidays have made it difficult to keep up but I did want to respond to
Michael.   The notion that the distinguishing of Sherbert and Yoder were pure
legal fictions in Smith is unpersuasive.    With respect to Sherbert, the
Court's reasoning is actually accurate and reflects the Court's understanding
of Smith as a case of first impression as the Justice's Conference notes show.

The distinguishing of Yoder is unpersuasive but it appears the Court was
reinforcing what Yoder was until RFRA -- an outlier.  Literally the only case
to apply strict scrutiny to a neutral, generally applicable law, with little or
no precedential value.   Its value is even more questionable today when
children's interests would have to be taken into account and, therefore,
Douglass's view would likely change the result, especially now that we have
strong evidence of the harm done to Amish children by the failure to educate
them.

All of this matters, because it is my view that RFRA in these cases is as
unconstitutional as it was in Boerne.  The Court did not limit its reasoning to
state law and relied explicitly on separation of powers.  Politics, not the
Court, transformed Boerne into a decision only relevant to state law.    As I
have said before, and may have missed either Eugene's or Marty's responses over
the holiday, their debate is one the courts are ill-suited to decide.

If the Court takes this approach, the mandate cases will be an excellent
example of how RFRA turns courts into legislatures and makes them lawmakers (in
the tradition actually of the Lochner cases where strict scrutiny was employed
to permit the courts to second guess employment laws), without the competence
to do so.

The problem of course is that the DOJ has failed to attack RFRA's
constitutionality but that is, once again, politics, not constitutional
analysis.

Marci

Marci A. Hamilton
Verkuil Chair in Public Law