The FCC issued an Order of Dismissal and Termination against Jack R.
Sharples of Florida concerning the matter of his application for a new
Amateur Radio license. In May, in a Hearing Designation Order, the FCC
called Sharples "a convicted felon and registered sexual predator," and said
"Sharples's felony conviction for at least one sexual-related offense
involving children raises material and substantial questions as to whether
he possesses the requisite character qualifications to be a Commission
licensee. Although Sharples's felony adjudications occurred more than seven
years ago, the nature of the criminal misconduct, and the fact that the
Amateur Radio Service is particularly attractive to children, call into
serious question whether he should be permitted to obtain an Amateur Radio
authorization." Sharples had 20 days since the release of the HDO to file a
written appearance; on June 19, "he submitted to the Presiding Judge a
document in which he set forth reasons for filing an [Amateur Radio license]
Application, notwithstanding his felony convictions [and] the document was
received as a good faith Notice of Appearance. "Sharples, in a telephone
call with the FCC requested more time to consider whether he would continue
to prosecute his Application. The request was granted without objection." On
June 27, Sharples sent a fax to the Presiding Judge withdrawing his
application for an Amateur Radio license. The FCC's request to dismiss the
application with prejudice and terminate the preceding was granted, as was
Sharples's application for an Amateur Radio license, also with prejudice, on
August 1.

* FCC issues "show cause" order to Washington licensee: The FCC has asked
David L. Titus, KB7ILD, of Seattle, Washington, to justify why his General
class Amateur Radio license should not be revoked. The Commission
Enforcement Bureau's January 30 Order to Show Cause in EB Docket No. 07-13
initiates a hearing process to determine whether Titus "is qualified to
remain a Commission licensee" in light of a 1993 felony conviction for
"communicating with a minor for immoral purposes." According to the FCC
order, Titus received a 25-month prison sentence, and the Seattle Police
Department identifies him as a registered sex offender. The FCC says the
Communications Act of 1934 provides that it may revoke any license if
conditions come to its attention that would warrant a denial of the
licensee's original application. The Commission said felony convictions,
"especially those involving sexual offenses involving children," raise
questions regarding a licensee's character qualifications. While Titus's
conviction was some 14 years ago, "the nature of his criminal misconduct and
the fact the Amateur Radio Service is particularly attractive to children
call into serious question whether he should be permitted to retain his
Amateur Radio authorization," the FCC said. Titus has 30 days to respond.
The burden of proof in a hearing would be on the Enforcement Bureau. The
show cause order is on the FCC Web site
<http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-07-377A1.pdf>.