  From: Gordon Cooper
  To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Thursday, September 02, 2010 1:51 AM
  Subject: Re: [Repeater-Builder] Re: Circular polarization for VHF repeaters?

  Our repeater runs 5 watts output, needs to run three or four days off a
  gelcell, and most importantly has to fit into a backpack to be carried
  to a convenient hilltop. Fortunately, the split is 3 MHz so that the
  duplexer is of a reasonable size.

  The problem is getting reasonable coverage. Sure the search areas are
  fairly small but usually encompass several ridges and deep valleys. We
  use vertical polarisation with a 5/8 whip on the repeater and the search
  teams have flexible dipoles that fit into their backpacks. Sharp ridges
  and steep slopes contribute to coverage problems. Would circular
  polarization help?? I think not.