It looks like the FCC rules give you extra power when opting for dual
polarization.  Doesn't mean the circular antenna contributes to extra
coverage, in fact it looks like the extra RF power allowed for the two
polarities is giving you more coverage?  The web article for which I gave a
link was from Europe and involved IBC Israel & BBC UK tests and their
conclusion was similar on Vertical Polarization.
Many lack of coverage issues I've seen with extremely high sites is due to
the use of high gain antennas with little or no down tilt.  I have seen
issues like this resolved by simply using a lower gain, say going from 10db
gain down to 7 dB gain and applying 4 - 6 degrees of down tilt.  Lowering
the gain widens the beam and addition of down tilt puts the major part of
the RF signal closer in and that improves coverage but it still puts a
signal out to the RF horizon.

Peter