On Thu, 2 Sep 2010, Gordon Cooper wrote:
>             I guess that I do not have much to contribute on this
> thread but to me it is very interesting reading. Gary has my sympathy,
> his problem is duplicated here.  Much of my repeater work relates to a
> low power portable repeater on 141 MHz. We live near a medium sized
> mountain range which has plenty of deer and wild pigs. Hunters go
> looking for them and perhaps get lost, or fall and break a leg. Also,
> there are recreational trampers who just get lost . Several times a
> year we have to go find, and rescue them. The last time was two days
> ago at 6.30 am. For once, it was not raining!
>
> Our repeater runs 5 watts output, needs to run three or four days off
> a gelcell, and most importantly has to fit into a backpack to be
> carried to a convenient hilltop.  Fortunately, the split is 3 MHz so
> that the duplexer is of a reasonable size.

You need lower power output and a further split and a big battery. Even
running a repeater at five watts with commercial handhelds out in the
field (each of which have a battery that will make it for eight hours),
you're going to need somewhere around a 33Ah battery, which weighs 25
lbs.

>    The problem is getting reasonable coverage. Sure the search areas
> are fairly small but usually encompass several ridges and deep
> valleys. We use vertical polarisation with a 5/8 whip on the repeater
> and the search teams have flexible dipoles that fit into their
> backpacks. Sharp ridges and steep slopes contribute to coverage
> problems. Would circular polarization help??  I think not.

Remember, a quarter-wave has significant energy in the pattern from
about five degrees to eighty-five degrees; if you're dealing with
valleys, this may be a better choice for an antenna.

--
Kris Kirby, KE4AHR
Disinformation Analyst