We also pay by direct debit here in Germany. They base it on previous months
usuage. If you end up using less at the end of the year, you get money back,
and if you use up more, then you pay the difference, and your monthly debit
payments will be adjusted to the new usuage amounts.
You get nothing for free... everything seems to have its price :-(
Aldi