Does Redshift have something like .map or .tx for textures? and what about
standins/procedurals?  I think those are essentials for big productions,
not even thinking on massive productions, just bigger than simple
scenes...   If it has (or plan to implement) something like that, I would
say it's a serious contender, but if not, I think it's aimming to small
studios or freelancers only, which of course is not a bad thing at all,
just saying it shouldn't be compared to other renderers just because, well,
they are renderers...

Orlando.

On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 4:39 PM, Tim Crowson <tim.crow...@magneticdreams.com
> wrote:

>  @ Eugen... I think I lit that with a dome light... honestly I can't
> remember though....
>
> @ Steve... yep I hear I ya. Rest assured, we're not doing anything close
> to elysium, and as I said not even as big as Athens. And it's cartoony, so
> although it has a lot of detail, the shading is exaggerated.
>
> @ Andreas... no, Redshift cannot combine the ram from the cards. If you
> have 3x6GB, you have 6GB. As for mass-rendering, we've already begun to
> outfit our farm with more GPU boxes. We're a small operation here, so our
> node numbers are low, but we definitely have to be able to mass-render
> frames. We have a history of CPU rendering with Mental Ray, and we're used
> to a certain volume. For us, the question isn't really the render time per
> frame, but per shot. And so far, even with the heavy scenes I descibed in
> my previous email, I think 35min may be the longest time my single-Titan
> has taken at 1920x1080 full MC. With multi-GPU machines (which is not an
> easy thing to figure out, either), we could get through these shots in very
> short order. I don't know whether it's the fact that RS is on the GPU, or
> whether it's RS' actual techniques (probably both), but we're getting great
> renders in very fast times. And we're using Redshift with Royal Render
> perfectly well. The Redshift guys worked with us to implement some
> environment variables so we can pull from a central location. It works well
> on the farm, and is stupid easy to update.
>
> -Tim
>

> On 2/17/2014 4:19 PM, Andreas Bystrom wrote:
>
>  yep, looks nice.
>
>  I'm also wondering if redshift can use the combined vram when using
> several cards in sli mode, if you have 3 titans, can you use 3x6gb or just
> 6gb for your scene?
>
>  a tree scene like that, at that rez would probably take a few hours in
> arnold or vray, so even at 30m in redshift it's still very fast..
>
> still, at 30m a frame you won't exactly be able to render full shots
> without a farm, and once you work with even heavier scenes I imagine you
> are looking at rendertimes of several hours per frame, and at that point I
> don't think the gpu will speed anything up, quite the opposite.
>

> On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 11:12 AM, Eugen Sares <sof...@mail.sprit.org>wrote:
>

>> To be clear, when Redshift goes out-of-core, it goes *into *your system
>> ram. So in the end, you still need plenty of system ram for large scenes.
>> But I've only got 20GB in my workstation and I'm getting very complex
>> renders out of it without coming even close to that. More in the 6-8GB
>> range so far. Proxies are awesome, and Redshift wisely had those from day
>> one of the alpha.
>>
>> Now several months ago I rendered
>> this<http://timcrowson.smugmug.com/photos/i-qGFB7nv/1/O/i-qGFB7nv.jpg>,
>> but it's more along the lines of what Octavian posted. It's just one tree
> [...]

IMPRESSUM:
PiXABLE STUDIOS GmbH & Co.KG, Sitz: Dresden, Amtsgericht: Dresden, HRA 6857,
Komplementärin: Lenhard & Barth Verwaltungsgesellschaft mbH, Sitz: Dresden,
Amtsgericht: Dresden, HRB 26501, Geschäftsführer: Frank Lenhard, Tino Barth

IMPRINT:
PiXABLE STUDIOS GmbH & Co.KG, Domicile: Dresden, Court of Registery:
Dresden,
Company Registration Number: HRA 6857, General Partner: Lenhard & Barth
Verwaltungsgesellschaft mbH, Domicile: Dresden, Court of Registery:
Dresden, Company
Registration Number: HRB 26501, Chief Executive Officers: Frank Lenhard,
Tino Barth

Informationen. Wenn Sie nicht
der richtige Adressat sind oder diese E-Mail irrtümlich erhalten haben,
informieren Sie bitte
sofort den Absender und vernichten Sie diese Mail. Das unerlaubte Kopieren
sowie die
unbefugte Weitergabe dieser Mail ist nicht gestattet.

are not the intended
recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender
immediately and destroy
this e-mail. Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of the
material in this e-mail is
strictly forbidden.