: leaks, etc.).  (Speaking of which, could anyone with more Lucene/Solr
: experience than I comment on the performance characteristics of the
: locallucene implementation mentioned on the list recently?  I've taken
: a first look and it seems reasonable to me.)

i cna't speak for anyone else, but i haven't had a chacne to drill into it
yet.

: Using a function query, as Yonik suggests above, is another approach.
: But to get a true sort, you have to boost the original query to zero?

or a very close approximation there of (0.000001 perhaps)

keep in mind: a "true" distance sort while easy to explain may not be as
useful as a sort by score where the distance is factored into the score
... there have been some threads about this on the java-user list in the
past and it's been discussed that a really relevant result 2 miles away is
probably better then a mildly relevent result 1.5 miles away ... that's
where a function query with well choosen boosts might serve you better.

: How does this impact the results returned by the original query?  Will
: the requirements (and boosts) of the original (now nested) query
: remain intact, only sorted by the function?  Also, is there any way to

it should ... but i won't swear to that.

: do this with the dismax handler?

a strict sort on the value of a a function?  put the function in the bf
param, don't bother with bq or pf params and change your qf params to all
have really small boosts.

-Hoss