If you went with the FunctionQuery approach for sorting by distance, would
there be any way to use the output of the FunctionQuery to limit the
documents to those within a certain radius?  Or is it just for boosting
documents, not for filtering?

Also, even if you're just using it for boosting, is there a way to avoid
running the expensive function on all docs in the index?  Could you somehow
nest bounding-box RangeQuery for latitude and longitude inside as
ValueSources?

Thanks,
Doug