You're definitely right about me wasting my time Simon. I loaded my entire
database (1 GB) into memory and set cache_size = -8192 for an 8 GB cache
size (using win64). I then ran my test (inserting the results of a query,
returning 111 million bigints, into a non-indexed single column table) and
there was no real difference. For lesser inserts (2 million) the speedup was
around 33% but would hardly be noticeable to the end user.

I daresay it would've been more noticeable if my laptop had a hard drive but
the moral of the story is get yourself an SSD and leave sqlite to take care
of the hard stuff.