Hi to all.
I'm new to this list and I've read here very interesting discussions about
SQLite as a standard for Free Office suites.

I'm an OpenOffice.org user, and I hope SQLite will be choosen as an embeded
database for OOo.

For now, we are able to use SQLite databases with OOo thanks to the ODBC
drivers for Christian Werner (www.ch-werner.de/sqliteodbc/). This driver
works for windows and Linux, and has been much improved by the developper to
work perfectly with OOo.
I've written a howto in french
(http://fr.openoffice.org/Documentation/How-to/Bdd/08SQLite_2.pdf) which
explains how to use the SQLite ODBC driver with OOo. This howto has been
translated into english here :
documentation.openoffice.org/HOW_TO/data_source/SQLite.pdf
I've also tried the JDBC driver (www.ch-werner.de/javasqlite/) but the actual
version is too experimental and doesn't work with OOo.

Perhaps you know there are discussions on OOo lists about the choice of a file
based database which could be embeded in OOo in the future. You can read here
an interesting article
(dba.openoffice.org/miscellaneous/developer_projects.html#embed_sqlite).
It seems that HSQLDB could be the first choice, but many users think SQLite
would be a better choice because it is already a standard and because of its
good performances.

The main drawback of SQLite is that it doesn't support ALTER TABLE. It's a big
limitation for simple users when building a database.
If this fonctionnality (and a few others) could be add in a near future,
SQLite would probably become the first choice for OOo.

So I hope that SQLite developpers will be able to work together with OOo
developpers to write an embeded OOo driver for SQLite (not ODBC), and then to
store SQLite database in the future OOo base file format.

Best regards.

Yves