On 25 jul 2004, at 5:47, Yves Chaufour wrote:

Why has it not been added for SQLite 3 ?
It's perhaps the more wanted SQLite feature, and we can't understand why it
isn't yet implemented.

Perhaps because you haven't you seen the tremendous amount of work that has been put into version 3. The difference between v2 and v3 is quite dramatic: improved concurrency, more compact datafile, BLOB support, UTF8 & UTF16 support, manifest typing, etc...

The "most wanted feature" you say? Arguably. Just check the archives. There are other issues that were discussed more deeply than ALTER TABLE. Concurrency, for example.

These newly added features were long requested as well, and although ALTER TABLE is indeed an important feature too, there are probably other issues that require more attention right now.

In any case, there is an entry on the FAQ section that shows you how to do something like ALTER TABLE. It's not ideal because it copies the entire table twice, but it's better than nothing, I suppose:

http://www.sqlite.org/faq.html#q13

Cheers,

-- Tito