Hoagy,

If you get 24.6 Watts/hour in yearly average, it is nearly 18 kWh per month
per sqm or around 5% of average family use per month or my suggestion would
only cover 2.5% of average family use. At the same time, it implies that we
would need a wind turbine with 22 sqm swept area to cover 100% of one
average family use and that does not sound right either and does not square
with the numbers I have seen on how many families a large turbine cover or
sizing recommendations on small turbines.

If I then look at calculated power at 3.8 m/s and 4.3 m/s, it is 33 resp.
48 Watt and compare it with 87 resp. 101 Watt, I am even more confused. The
power in the formula is related to the cubic of wind speed and I would
expect a much larger difference between the power values. Not knowing the
complete distribution of speed,  make it very difficult to judge

It is possible that you are right and I would need 4 times more swept area
and rated power to cover 10%. I also think that it is equally possible that
we have something wrong in our assumptions. If you are right, it mirrors
back on almost all small wind turbines, since I took samples from
manufacturers data to come to my conclusions. We have then to realize that
it must be quite a crooked industry sector and that they are not
truthfully, because it means that presented economy numbers do not square
either. The fault that I might have done is systematic and based on
industry information. It is not a technical calculation mistake, it has to
do with statistical availability of energy in relation to sizing.

Let us go further on this and do some more checking, we must be absolutely
sure of what the Wind Power Density is. Let us first get a clear definition
on it, so we know that we are not chasing ghosts here.

Hakan

To visit your group on the web, go to: