Robert,

Not that I disagree with you. If I could have my druthers, I'd care to see
several thousand turbines dotting the land and oceanscape. One heck of a
prettier sight a windfarm on Nantucket sound is than the smoke belching
generating station on the island already.

>     Who decides what is significant , insignificant, and how far the
> import of such statements should be allowed?  You are bringing up a
> critical point with this.

All depends on who's doing the analysis, who has what to gain and who has
what to lose..., which is and was precisely my point. It boils down all too
often to a matter of spin and influence, a matter of sacrifice - who gets
sacrificed and who gets to perform the ritual.

I wouldn't exactly say that the California Energy Department is an unbiased
source of information. If it was, then the pro-nukers wouldn't be using the
bird kill (and service-tech kill) argument so frequently in their pursuit of
a new generation of power plant construction, as it could be easily
dismissed - a result completely counter to their intent.

More likely there's a middle ground of reality, somewhere between the lows
of CED and the highs of whomever put out the numbers on the other end of the
spectrum.

> How many deaths must we have before the cost
> becomes too high?

You tell me. If that death is you? If it's your wife? Your daughter? Your
three year old? Maybe if it's a neighbor's it starts to become more okay?
Maybe if it's someone in another state or country it's becomes distant
enough as to relegate to the point of non-existant? Seems that there are
thousand of industrial aspects that aren't good enough for white folks but
"acceptable" for others. Domestically it's call "toxic racism."
Internationally it's called "exportation."

I'm sure there are thousands of  industry spin doctors who could generate in
a heart beat or less a CBA (cost benefit analysis) in favor of mercury from
coal fired power plants or lead from municipal waste incinerators.

> We tolerate a great deal of highway carnage here in
> North America, but few people advocate outlawing the personal
> automobile.

Yes. Few do. But there's a wee tad of difference between being largely in
control of one's own fate (emphasis on largely) and having First Energy and
the NRC in bed together and deciding the fate of the masses. You remember
Davis-Bessie...the Ohio nuke that NRC let inspection slide in order to
accomodate the owner/operator, only to find a large grapefruit-sized hole
bored through the outer containment vessel. Well, the two are at it again in
the re-start phase.

Maybe they should be let to make the same poor decisions for the same
unbalanced reasons all over again? And again? And again? And again? And...?

Most people have relatively little problem with suffering the consequences
of their own actions. It's suffering consequences as a result of decision
making of others that is problematic.

> I think, however, that exploring this issue in depth is
> tangental to the current discussion with respect to small, roof mounted
> wind turbines.

You're probably right. It should be altered to "turbines kill cats," as mine
would certainly be up on the roof ridge and get their head clipped off or
jaw caved in nosing around a whirling vertical turbine.

>     I agree that such analysis is often used this way, but we perform
> risk / benefit analyses daily.  Sometimes we're right, sometimes we're
> not.

And quite often "we" are intentionally and/or knowingly wrong. That's the
part to be painfully aware of.

> But is it intellectually honest to dismiss wind turbines
> altogether because "turbines kill birds"?

No. Nor is it intelectually honest to dismiss the reality that they do.
Certainly those involved in site planning of turbines don't. There must be
sumptin' to it.

> Shouldn't an intelligent
> person seek clarification for such a blanket statement?

Yup..., from multiple sources, with those that support our own perspective
being the ones of least or perhaps last import.

Todd Swearingen