Appal Energy wrote:

>  Robert,
>
> The source of the "22,000 bird kills at Altamont Pass" statement
> appears to
> come from a study done for CEC (California Energy Commission) and NREL
>
> (National Renewable Energy Lab).  By whom I haven't yet been able to
> determine.
>
> What is curious is how both "sides" of the argument reference this
> report,
> yet the numbers bandied about are strikingly at odds in many cases.

    Yes, that IS odd. . .

> The CleanPowerNow page goes to great length to diminutize the numbers
> and
> impact. That actually backfires for anyone with a calculator. One kill
> per
> year for 5,400 turbines yields a 400% increase in the numbers from the
>
> elusive CEC/NREL report. And 0.05 raptors killed per turbine per year
> yields
> a 600% plus increase relative to the report's estimates.

    This is the essence of your argument.  I am beginning to understand
now.

> Somewhere in the mix of these articles some 1,600 wind turbines are
> "missing," the difference
> between 7,000 and 5,400, and the number of kills seem to jump from
> ~22,000
> ~108,000 plus in the blink of an eye (CleanPowerNow page). No doubt
> Arthur
> Anderson would be proud.

    Proud, perhaps, but that's a sad collection of statistics for anyone
who cares about birds.

> In all totality, the truth lays in the errors amassed at Altamont and
> probably
> is best expressed in the "raptor matics" page and the Washington Post
> and
> Seathl Times articles. My guess is that Altamont Pass is increasingly
> becoming the poster
> child of how not to produce wind power and that it might serve the
> industry very well to dismantle the most destructive turbines (those
> in the
> canyons) immediately and with some haste consolidate and replace the
> old
> low-output turbines with megawatt models.
>
> 'Course those old lattice towers will find there way into other niches
> in
> the industry. Hmmmm....... I smell a wind industry garage sale in the
> making.

    Then we simply spread the problem around until it becomes less
obvious, right?

    Thank you for posting this info.  I am very much more informed now
than I was at the outset of this discussion.

robert luis rabello
"The Edge of Justice"
Adventure for Your Mind
http://www.1stbooks.com/bookview/9782