Robert,

The source of the "22,000 bird kills at Altamont Pass" statement appears to
come from a study done for CEC (California Energy Commission) and NREL
(National Renewable Energy Lab).  By whom I haven't yet been able to
determine.

What is curious is how both "sides" of the argument reference this report,
yet the numbers bandied about are strikingly at odds in many cases.

The CleanPowerNow page goes to great length to diminutize the numbers and
impact. That actually backfires for anyone with a calculator. One kill per
year for 5,400 turbines yields a 400% increase in the numbers from the
elusive CEC/NREL report. And 0.05 raptors killed per turbine per year yields
a 600% plus increase relative to the report's estimates.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2001819155_windfarm19.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?pagename=article&node=&contentId=A25818-2003Dec23&notFound=true

http://www.darrylmueller.com/altamont%20complaint.pdf
("raptor matics")

A bit of a difference in accounting between the above and this

http://www.cleanpowernow.org/birdkills.php
("cuisinarts of the air")

Somewhere in the mix of these articles some 1,600 wind turbines are
"missing," the difference
between 7,000 and 5,400, and the number of kills seem to jump from ~22,000
~108,000 plus in the blink of an eye (CleanPowerNow page). No doubt Arthur
Anderson would be proud.

In all totality, the truth lays in the errors amassed at Altamont and
probably
is best expressed in the "raptor matics" page and the Washington Post and
Seathl Times articles. My guess is that Altamont Pass is increasingly
becoming the poster
child of how not to produce wind power and that it might serve the
industry very well to dismantle the most destructive turbines (those in the
canyons) immediately and with some haste consolidate and replace the old
low-output turbines with megawatt models.

'Course those old lattice towers will find there way into other niches in
the industry. Hmmmm....... I smell a wind industry garage sale in the
making.

Todd Swearingen