Keith Addison wrote:

>>I would point you towards the recent (2 yrs old, I believe) Harvard
>>experiment (and since then duplicated in several other locations)
>>that showed that ordinary human beings off the street were willing
>>to torture and even kill other people if they were told to by
>>somebody they perceived as being in a position of authority.
>>
>>They were placed in front of a panel of clearly marked buttons and
>>it was explained that they would be delivering electrical charges to
>>people in the next room.  Even when the people in the next room were
>>screaming, without exception the test subjects continued to deliver
>>the shocks.  One of the buttons was clearly marked LETHAL, and
>>without exception, the test subjects delivered the lethal charge
>>when instructed.

You're talking about the famous Milgram Experiments conducted by Stanley
Milgram at Yale in the 1961 and 1962. Only 65% percent of study subjects
  were willing to deliver final "450 volt" shock to the other subject
when so instructed by the experimenter. Milgram initiated the studies
following Adolf Eichmann's trial in 1961 to see whether or not
"Eichmann, and his million accomplices in the Holocaust were just
following orders?"

Since then, the study has been repeatedly replicated around the world.
Tom Blass from Univ. of Maryland reports that proportion of subjects
willing to deliver the highest shock remains remarkable constant between
61 and 66%, irrespective of location.

For more info, see:

Blass, T. The Milgram paradigm after 35 years: Some things we now know
about obedience to authority, Journal of Applied Social Psychology,
1999, Vol. 25, pp. 955-978.

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511