<x-charset ISO-8859-1>There's information on jatropha and other yields here:
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_yield.html
Vegetable oil yields, characteristics: Journey to Forever

It also includes links to two online databases that will tell you a lot more:

NewCrop SearchEngine at the Center for New Crops & Plant Products at
Purdue University -- Search for "oil". Results: "The following pages
containing 'oil' were found -- hits 1-20 of 200". Results are
hyperlinked to detailed factsheets.
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/SearchEngine.html

Plants For A Future -- Database Search -- See "Search by Use - Select
any of the following uses. Or select none and use the plant criteria
below." Select "Other Use" - oil. Results: "Other Use: Oil (460)".
Results are hyperlinked to detailed factsheets.
http://www.ibiblio.org/pfaf/D_search.html

For instance, NewCrop includes among many other references James A.
Duke's excellent Handbook of Energy Crops. Here's what it says about
jatropha:

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/duke_energy/Jatropha_curcas.html

Jatropha curcas L.
Euphorbiaceae
Physic nut, Purging nut

Source: James A. Duke. 1983. Handbook of Energy Crops. unpublished.

1.      Uses
2.      Folk Medicine
3.      Chemistry
4.      Toxicity
5.      Description
6.      Germplasm
7.      Distribution
8.      Ecology
9.      Cultivation
10.     Harvesting
11.     Yields and Economics
12.     Energy
13.     Biotic Factors
14.     References

Uses

According to Ochse (1980), "the young leaves may be safely eaten,
steamed or stewed." They are favored for cooking with goat meat, said
to counteract the peculiar smell. Though purgative, the nuts are
sometimes roasted and dangerously eaten. In India, pounded leaves are
applied near horses' eyes to repel flies. The oil has been used for
illumination, soap, candles, adulteration of olive oil, and making
Turkey red oil. Nuts can be strung on grass and burned like
candlenuts (Watt and Breyer-Brandwijk, 1962). Mexicans grow the shrub
as a host for the lac insect. Ashes of the burned root are used as a
salt substitute (Morton, 1981). Agaceta et al. (1981) conclude that
it has strong molluscicidal activity. Duke and Wain (1981) list it
for homicide, piscicide, and raticide as well. The latex was strongly
inhibitory to watermelon mosaic virus (Tewari and Shukla, 1982). Bark
used as a fish poison (Watt and Breyer-Brandwijk, 1962). In South
Sudan, the seed as well as the fruit is used as a contraceptive (List
and Horhammer, 1969-1979). Sap stains linen and can be used for
marking (Mitchell and Rook, 1979). Little, Woodbury, and Wadsworth
(1974) list the species as a honey plant.

Folk Medicine

According to Hartwell, the extracts are used in folk remedies for
cancer. Reported to be abortifacient, anodyne, antiseptic,
cicatrizant, depurative, diuretic, emetic, hemostat, lactagogue,
narcotic, purgative, rubefacient, styptic, vermifuge, and vulnerary,
physic nut is a folk remedy for alopecia, anasorca, ascites, burns,
carbuncles, convulsions, cough, dermatitis, diarrhea, dropsy,
dysentery, dyspepsia, eczema, erysipelas, fever, gonorrhea, hernia,
incontinence, inflammation, jaundice, neuralgia, paralysis,
parturition, pleurisy, pneumonia, rash, rheumatism, scabies,
sciatica, sores, stomachache, syphilis, tetanus, thrush, tumors,
ulcers, uterosis, whitlows, yaws, and yellow fever (Duke and Wain,
1981; List and Horhammer, 1969-1979). Latex applied topically to bee
and wasp stings (Watt and Breyer-Brandwijk, 1962). Mauritians massage
ascitic limbs with the oil. Cameroon natives apply the leaf decoction
in arthritis (Watt and Breyer-Brandwijk, 1962). Colombians drink the
leaf decoction for venereal disease (Morton, 1981). Bahamans drink
the decoction for heartburn. Costa Ricans poultice leaves onto
erysipelas and splenosis. Guatemalans place heated leaves on the
breast as a lactagogue. Cubans apply the latex to toothache.
Colombians and Costa Ricans apply the latex to burns, hemorrhoids,
ringworm, and ulcers. Barbadians use the leaf tea for marasmus,
Panamanians for jaundice. Venezuelans take the root decoction for
dysentery (Morton, 1981). Seeds are used also for dropsy, gout,
paralysis, and skin ailments (Watt and Breyer-Brandwijk, 1962).
Leaves are regarded as antiparasitic, applied to scabies; rubefacient
for paralysis, rheumatism; also applied to hard tumors (Hartwell,
1967-1971). Latex used to dress sores and ulcers and inflamed tongues
(Perry, 1980). Seed is viewed as aperient; the seed oil emetic,
laxative, purgative, for skin ailments. Root is used in decoction as
a mouthwash for bleeding gums and toothache. Otherwise used for
eczema, ringworm, and scabies (Perry, 1980; Duke and Ayensu, 1984).
We received a letter from the Medical Research Center of the
University of the West Indies shortly after the death of Jamaician
singer Robert Morley, "I just want you to know that this is not
because of Bob Morley's illness, why I am revealing this ... my dream
was: this old lady came to me in my sleep with a dish in her hands;
she handed the dish to me filled with some nuts. I said to her, "What
were those?" She did not answer. I said to her, "PHYSIC NUTS." She
said to me, "This is the cure for cancer." We found this Jamaican
dream rather interesting. Four antitumor compounds, including
jatropham and jatrophone, are reported from other species of Jatropha
(Duke and Ayensu, 1984). Homeopathically used for cold sweats, colic,
collapse, cramps, cyanosis, diarrhea, leg cramps.

Chemistry

Per 100 g, the seed is reported to contain 6.6 g H2O, 18.2 g protein,
38.0 g fat, 33.5 g total carbohydrate, 15.5 g fiber, and 4.5 g ash
(Duke and Atchley, 1983). Leaves, which show antileukemic activity,
contain a-amyrin, b-sitosterol, stigmasterol, and campesterol,
7-keto-b-sitosterol, stigmast-5-ene-3-b, 7-a-diol, and
stigmast-5-ene-3 b, 7 b-diol (Morton, 1981). Leaves contain
isovitexin and vitexin. From the drug (nut?) saccharose, raffinose,
stachyose, glucose, fructose, galactose, protein, and an oil, largely
of oleic- and linoleic-acids (List and Horhammer, 1969-1979),
curcasin, arachidic-, linoleic-, myristic-, oleic-, palmitic-, and
stearic-acids are also reported (Perry, 1980).

Toxicity

The poisoning is irritant, with acute abdominal pain and nausea about
1/2 hour following ingestion. Diarrhea and nausea continue but are
not usually serious. Depression and collapse may occur, especially in
children. Two seeds are strong purgative. Four to five seed are said
to have caused death, but the roasted seed is said to be nearly
innocuous. Bark, fruit, leaf, root, and wood are all reported to
contain HCN (Watt and Breyer-Brandwijk, 1962). Seeds contain the
dangerous toxalbumin curcin, rendering them potentially fatally toxic.

Description

Shrub or tree to 6 m, with spreading branches and stubby twigs, with
a milky or yellowish rufescent exudate. Leaves deciduous, alternate
but apically crowded, ovate, acute to acuminate, basally cordate, 3
to 5-lobed in outline, 6-40 cm long, 6-35 cm broad, the petioles
2.5-7.5 cm long. Flowers several to many in greenish cymes,
yellowish, bell-shaped; sepals 5, broadly deltoid. Male flowers many
with 10 stamens, 5 united at the base only, 5 united into a column.
Female flowers borne singly, with elliptic 3-celled, triovulate ovary
with 3 spreading bifurcate stigmata. Capsules, 2.5-4 cm long, finally
drying and splitting into 3 valves, all or two of which commonly have
an oblong black seed, these ca 2 x 1 cm (Morton, 1977; Little et al.,
1974).

Germplasm

Reported from the Central and South American Centers of Diversity,
physic nut, or cvs thereof, is reported to tolerate Slope. There is
an endemic species in Madagascars J. mahafalensis, with equal
energetic promise. (2n = 22)

Distribution

Though native to America, the species is almost pantropical now,
widely planted as a medicinal plant which soon tends to establish
itself. It is listed, e.g., as a weed in Brazil, Fiji, Honduras,
India, Jamaica, Panama, Puerto Rico, and Salvador (Holm et al, 1979).

Ecology

Ranging from Tropical Very Dry to Moist through Subtropical Thorn to
Wet Forest Life Zones, physic nut is reported to tolerate annual
precipitation of 4.8 to 23.8 dm (mean of 60 cases = 14.3) and annual
temperature of 18.0 to 28.5ˆÁ (mean of 45 cases = 25.2).

Cultivation

Grows readily, from cuttings or seeds. Cuttings strike root so easily
that the plant can be used as an energy-producing living fence post.

Harvesting

For medicinal purposes, the seeds are harvested as needed. For energy
purposes, seeds might be harvested all at once, the active medicinal
compounds might be extracted from the seed, before or after the oil,
leaving the oil cake for biomass or manure.

Yields and Economics

According to Gaydou et al (1982), seed yields approach 6-8 MT/ha with
ca 37% oil. They calculate that such yields could produce the
equivalent of 2,100-2,800 liters fuel oil/ha (see table under
Energy). In Madagascar, they have ca 10,000 ha of purging nut, each
producing ca 24 hl oil/ha for a potential production of 240,000 hl
(Gaydou, et al, 1982).

Energy

The clear oil expressed from the seed has been used for illumination
and lubricating, and more recently has been suggested for energetic
purposes, one ton of nuts yielding 70 kg refined petroleum, 40 kg
"gasoil leger" (light fuel oil), 40 kg regular fuel oil, 34 kg dry
tar/pitch/rosin, 270 kg coke-like char, and 200 kg ammoniacal water,
natural gas, creosote, etc. In a startling study, Gaydou et al.
(1982) compare several possible energy species with potential to grow
in Malagasy. Oil palm was considered energetically most promising.

        Crop production
MT/ha   Fuel production
/ha     Energetic equivalent
kwh/ha
Elaeis guineensis       18-20   3,600-4,000     33,900-37,700
Jatropha curcas         6-8     2,100-2,800     19,800-26,400
Aleurites fordii        4-6     1,800-2,700     17,000-25,500
Saccharum officinarum   35      2,450   16,000
Ricinus communis        3-5     1,200-2,000     11,300-18,900
Manihot eaculenta       6       1,020   6,600
Biotic Factors
Agriculture Handbook No. 165 lists the following as affecting
Jatropha curcas: Clitocybe tabescens (root rot), Colletotrichum
gloeosporioides (leaf spot), and Phakopsora jatrophicola (rust).