Good point Keith....

Sumit, take a look at Honge  perhaps....or one of the other 300 seeds
identified in India!

http://www.tve.org/ho/doc.cfm?aid=1433&lang=English

Edward Beggs
http://www.biofuels.ca

On Friday, February 13, 2004, at 08:53 AM, Keith Addison wrote:

> Hi Sumit
>
> Jatropha seems to be something of the flavour of the month in India
> at the moment, and for awhile - I've been getting more and more
> enquiries about it from there. Might have something to do with this:
>
> "NEW DELHI: The Government is mulling investment of over Rs 17,500
> crore to undertake a comprehensive programme for extracting oil from
> Jatropha plantations for blending with diesel."
> Business online - Monday, December 9, 2002
> http://www.hinduonnet.com/bline/blnus/14091304.htm
>
> Jatropha curcas is a good option, but there are many other good
> options. The idea that it's the best option just doesn't take into
> account how development projects work, if they work at all, and this
> type of "best technology" thinking is one reason they often don't
> work. Almost any locally grown crop would have more going for it,
> regardless of Jatropha's yield and general usefulness. That's no
> reason not to use Jatropha, but it has to be fitted in properly, and
> once again full local involvement is essential for that to happen.
>
> For more re which please see:
>
> http://journeytoforever.org/community.html
> http://journeytoforever.org/community2.html
> Community development: Journey to Forever
>
> I cross-posted a message on jatropha in India from Dr A.D. Karve some
> time ago:
>
>> I have conducted field experiments on both castor and Jatropha.  I had
>> already mentioned in a previous E-mail, that Jatropha was tested
>> rather
>> widely in India and was given up because it was not found to be as
>> high
>> yielding as the traditional oil crops in India.  I do not know how it
>> behaves in other countries, but under our agroclimatic and edaphic
>> conditions, Jatropha produces much more vegetative matter than
>> fruits.  At
>> harvest, one has to search for the occasional fruit hidden behind all
>> the
>> foliage that this plant produces.  It is found all over India as a
>> wild
>> plant.  India has some 25 uncultivated species of trees that yield
>> non-edible oil. The seed of the wild trees is collected by villagers
>> and
>> sold to merchants attending the weekly village markets, but no farmer
>> would
>> ever think of growing them as a crop, because all of them are lower
>> yielding
>> than the cultivated oil plants such as peanut, soybean, sunflower,
>> safflower, sesame, various mustards and rapes, coconut, etc. Among the
>> seasonal oilseeds, hybrid castor is the highest yielding (2.5 tonnes
>> oil per
>> ha), but it is not an edible oil. The highest yield of edible oil,
>> also
>> about 2.5 tonnes per ha, is obtained from coconut. Oil palm, which
>> yields 6
> [...]

Send the freshest Valentine's flowers with a FREE vase from only $29.99!
Shipped direct from the grower with a 7 day freshness guarantee and prices so
low you save 30-55% off retail!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/_iAw9B/xdlHAA/3jkFAA/FGYolB/TM