Hi Sumit

Jatropha seems to be something of the flavour of the month in India
at the moment, and for awhile - I've been getting more and more
enquiries about it from there. Might have something to do with this:

"NEW DELHI: The Government is mulling investment of over Rs 17,500
crore to undertake a comprehensive programme for extracting oil from
Jatropha plantations for blending with diesel."
Business online - Monday, December 9, 2002
http://www.hinduonnet.com/bline/blnus/14091304.htm

Jatropha curcas is a good option, but there are many other good
options. The idea that it's the best option just doesn't take into
account how development projects work, if they work at all, and this
type of "best technology" thinking is one reason they often don't
work. Almost any locally grown crop would have more going for it,
regardless of Jatropha's yield and general usefulness. That's no
reason not to use Jatropha, but it has to be fitted in properly, and
once again full local involvement is essential for that to happen.

For more re which please see:

http://journeytoforever.org/community.html
http://journeytoforever.org/community2.html
Community development: Journey to Forever

I cross-posted a message on jatropha in India from Dr A.D. Karve some time ago:

> I have conducted field experiments on both castor and Jatropha.  I had
>already mentioned in a previous E-mail, that Jatropha was tested rather
>widely in India and was given up because it was not found to be as high
>yielding as the traditional oil crops in India.  I do not know how it
>behaves in other countries, but under our agroclimatic and edaphic
>conditions, Jatropha produces much more vegetative matter than fruits.  At
>harvest, one has to search for the occasional fruit hidden behind all the
>foliage that this plant produces.  It is found all over India as a wild
>plant.  India has some 25 uncultivated species of trees that yield
>non-edible oil. The seed of the wild trees is collected by villagers and
>sold to merchants attending the weekly village markets, but no farmer would
>ever think of growing them as a crop, because all of them are lower yielding
>than the cultivated oil plants such as peanut, soybean, sunflower,
>safflower, sesame, various mustards and rapes, coconut, etc. Among the
>seasonal oilseeds, hybrid castor is the highest yielding (2.5 tonnes oil per
>ha), but it is not an edible oil. The highest yield of edible oil, also
>about 2.5 tonnes per ha, is obtained from coconut. Oil palm, which yields 6
>tonnes of oil per hectare in Malaysia,  was tested and given up as low
>yielding under Indian conditions.
>Yours A.D.Karve
http://archive.nnytech.net/index.php?view=17993&list=BIOFUEL

You should read these two previous messages:

http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/BIOFUEL/19667/
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - musings

http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/BIOFUEL/19671/
Re: [EMAIL PROTECTED] - musings

Don't get too carried away by yield figures - yield isn't everything,
and focusing on it can obscure other factors that could be more
important.

Best wishes

Keith Addison
Journey to Forever