Hi-

Well, I can't say that this comes as a surprise, though it is a pity
that they won't allow downloads after January 1, 2008 (as per their
FAQ).  This means that for SVG to continue to be viable on the Web,
before that point there will need to be native IE support (possible) or
a new viewer (almost certain, but probably not by as big a name as Adobe).

Obviously, Adobe has chosen a proprietary path that will include only
Adobe/Macromedia technologies.  I guess it all comes down to the bottom
line for them, but it's a shame they are moving away from open standards.

This seems like a good opportunity for other companies, but a bit of a
challenge for authors who want to use SVG.

Paton J. Lewis wrote:
> Adobe has decided to discontinue support for Adobe SVG Viewer. There
> are a number of other third-party SVG viewer implementations in the
> marketplace, including native support for SVG in many Web browsers.
> The SVG language and its adoption in the marketplace have both matured
> to the point where it is no longer necessary for Adobe to provide an
> SVG viewer.
>
> SVG is an established vector image format. Adobe currently supports
> SVG in several of its authoring and server products, including
> Illustrator, InDesign, GoLive, Version Cue, Graphics Server,
> FrameMaker, and FrameMaker Server.

Regards-
-Doug