I don't think SF1.x will die out -- it's a major commitment to move to sf2,
if an organization has an application built on sf1 and it's working, there's
not a compelling reason to rewrite it in SF2.  New projects, of course,
should be in sf2.

And that's the reason they should be on separate lists.

As SF2 RC1 is about to be released, this is the perfect time to move to a
new list.  The answers on that list are more likely to be "correct" to
anyone searching the archives (prior to the API being stable, an answer
could be correct one week and incorrect the next).

Tac

security at symfony-project.com