Hello,

thanks to all for the great work on the OSM map in general and the Belgium data
in special.
I did already benefit a lot from the work done, and I'd like to contribute to
this great project too, but I am unsure how.

At the moment I am most interested in getting the borders for administrative
units, from the country as whole down to towns and communes, for Belgium
straightened out (=relations tagged with boundaries=administrative and
admin_level=2-10)

I think there is conflicting information here:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:boundary%3Dadministrative
and here: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Belgium/Boundaries

On the Tag:boundary=administrative page (first link) it says
communities/provinces go on level 5 and arrondisments on 6 - while on the
subproject page it only list the language communites on level 5 and puts
provinces onto 6 (thereby moving arrondisments and towns further down)

I am not sure which page describes the better solution and what way I need to
look at data now.
I'd like to fix the "old" data to match "new" level guide, but I am afraid of
touching anything until I know which way is the "right" one and which one is
the "wrong" version!

My personal opinion (just my private thoughts at the moment) would be that only
provinces should be on level 5 (as the tag:boundary page describes)

I would move the language-based communites out of the admin_level-tagged
hierarchy completly and also not use boundary=administrative (can we use
boundary=language or something?)

My reasons for this is that the language communites are not administrative
borders (or are they? Please correct me if I am wrong here, no expert at all
with this), but my even stronger point is that you got overlapping and
"growing" areas while going down the hierarchy:

For example the relation http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/relation/78967
(french speaking community) is tagged as admin_level 5, and it includes the
brussels area (because it is bi-lingual), while the relation "above"
(admin_level 4) http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/relation/90348 (the Walloon
Region) does not include Brussels (as it is it's own region). The "area" grows
bigger while moving down hierarchy levels.
The same of course happens if you see it from the flemish speaking community on
level 5 against the Flemish region on level 4.

The french speaking community also completly overlaps the german language
community in east Belgium (my home place). This is technically absolutely
correct, both language do co-exists here, but in terms of tagging
administrative boundaries there should be no overlapping in my eyes - but
again, not sure about this either.

I know that language is a delicate topic with Belgium currently, so please do
not feel offended, let's try to discuss and find a solution for everybody, ok?

Thanks!
Ralf