On Wed, 8 Jun 2011 12:10:17 +0200, Julien Fastré wrote:
What are "towns" and "suburbs" in Belgium ?

In Liège, as far as I know, old communes are now the name of some
"quartiers" (i do not know the word in english). If I would map them,
I would use the disctrict/deelgemeentes/section level... But maybe I
am wrong...

Looking a bit further, it could be that in Belgium towns are synonymous with deelgemeentes. At least when I look at <http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lijst_van_gemeenten_in_het_Vlaams_Gewest>.

This would suggest that before the communal reshufflings in 1960-1970, a gemeente/commune would only consist of one town. Is that true? That's a bit different from the Netherlands where there were (also in the past) almost always more than one town in a gemeente. And then the info in the belgian page (which I have also put on the global page) would be complete.

Maarten

2011/6/8 Maarten Deen