2009/9/29 Eugene Alvin Villar <sea...@gmail.com>:
> The big problem I see is that our node, way, and relation IDs are too
> brittle for this sort of thing. A POI node might eventually get replaced
> with a closed-way building. Or a way will get split into two (and those two
> ways get completely new IDs) or two ways will be merged (with the new way
> not inheriting any of the original two IDs).
>
> I wish OSM has a "redirect" feature for deleted nodes, ways, and relations
> sort of like what Wikipedia has for its articles and pages. Maybe a
> redirect=* tag? :-)

That's an interesting idea. Note that if we want to maintain a "singly
linked list" of the successions of one OSM feature by another (or a
set of them) we can link either way: from new to old or old to new.
This wouldn't really be a list, more like a graph because one feature
can substitute many and many features can replace one.

(Not that I want this feature, just wondering)

Cheers