Hi Gavin,

I understand your frustration. Open source is different mind set (it took me
some time to figure it out myself). If you download any proprietary ERP
software, you will probably not get as many errors as OpenERP (specially
programming related errors i.e. python errors). Don't think it is due to poor
quality of the code. I should admit OpenERP design is v.smart. As far as
implementations are concerned, in my experience, there are very few vanilla
implementations, most of the implementations require customizations. Besides
the customizations, one need to know Python in order to troubleshoot.
As you expressed your concern about fork, there is already one (triton or
tryton i think). But OpenERP/OpenObject is more popular, more contributions.

A word of advise, take little time out to learn python, xml, postgresql (i am
trying to learn too) ... this will make your life much easier where OpenERP is
concerned,,,, and this will not happen overnight .... most experienced members
here didn't learn all this in one day .... they spent good amount of time in
these technologies ... i guess we should too

http://www.openobject.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=50478#50478